Thinking of starting a YouTube channel, or sharing videos of your exploits on Facebook, Instagram or another social media platform? Then you’ll want to pick up one of the best cameras for vloggers.
Adding vlogging and quick video sharing as another string to your bow is a great idea for a visual creative – even if you don’t plan to make vlogging your primary source of income, it can be an excellent way to connect with a different audience, have some fun while out on your shoots, and potentially connect with a whole new client base.
Whether you want to make shoot diaries, explainer videos, interviews or just slice-of-life vlogs, you’re going to need one of the best cameras for vlogging, and in our new blog series we’re going to explore a few of the best options available right now.
First up, we’re taking a closer look at the Nikon D7500. First unveiled in 2017, this is a capable APS-C DSLR from the venerable manufacturer, and it’s a great choice for any vlogger.
Let’s take a closer look to find out…
Why the Nikon D7500 is perfect for vloggers
As mentioned, the D7500 joined Nikon’s DX lineup of crop-sensor cameras, but it slotted into this range in an interesting way. It actually sports a sensor with a lower megapixel count than previous models in the series – 20.9MP rather than 24MP. This provides it with other advantages such as a native ISO range of 100-51,200, expandable to a whopping 1,640,000.
For video users, the drop in sensor resolution doesn’t make much difference, but the advantages of additional sensitivity are huge, and would be a real advantage if you plan to shoot at night or anywhere that light conditions are sub-optimal.
Nikon radically upgraded the video capabilities of the D7500 – it’s capable of capturing 4K UHD video at 30p for up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds. Full HD can also be recorded at up to 60p, and the D7500 also allows for an uncompressed HDMI output running at the same time as recording to a card, for an instant extra backup to ensure you never lose footage. You can record footage in MP4 and AAC formats to optimise it for viewing on mobile devices, and also take advantage of Nikon’s Vibration Reduction technology for smoother handheld shooting. This is a highly capable video machine that’s specifically optimised for quick shooting in all sorts of different conditions – in other words, it’s ideal for the vlogger.
There are plenty of other features that make the Nikon D7500 a great camera for vlogging – its 3.2-inch tilting LCD monitor is a boon for all sorts of shooting situations, allowing you to capture footage from different angles and explore different perspectives. It’s also useful that all told the camera weighs just 640g, and that the extensive weatherproofing means you can shoot outdoors without fear of damaging it.
A perfect vlogging setup with the Nikon D7500
While the Nikon D7500 is a great vlogging camera, you’ll get the most out of it if you add a few well-chosen accessories. Here are our picks for the ideal vlogging setup with the Nikon D7500:
– Get a fast, wide lens. Though zooms add versatility, primes are best for quality. A nice, wide focal length will make it easy to frame up, as well as keeping your kit light and compact. Something like the Nikon 24mm f1.8G ED AF-S Lens would be ideal.
– Get a good microphone. Sound quality is arguably the most critical aspect of making videos that feel professional. The RØDE VideoMic GO is a perfect choice, and won’t break the bank.
– A quality pair of headphones such as the Roland RH-5 for audio monitoring (the D7500 has a headphone jack).
– A fast, high-capacity memory card to record your footage – the D7500 only has one card slot, so make it count. The SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I offers cards with capacities of up to 512GB.
– A good tripod. We’d recommend a Joby Gorillapod for maximum flexibility and versatility in camera placement – this grippy tripod allows you to set up a camera in all sorts of unusual places.
– An external recorder. Take advantage of the D7500’s HDMI out functionality with a recorder such as one from the Atomos Ninja range, which can also serve as a monitor.
That about wraps it up for the Nikon D7500. We’ll be discussing more of the best cameras for vloggers soon – see you next time!